Sticky Clay





In December I put together a found poem consisting of last lines culled from previous poems, called The End of the Beginning. Today I'm coming at it from the other end, and this found poem uses only first lines, and not selected from all my poems, just those written in 2022. I hope it makes sense.


Sticky Clay


I busted my ass again this year.

I’ve worked restaurants - 

Better to use my time

writing poems.


Every tunnel,

by definition,

has an end.


Seasons change;

All has become quiet

in Moscow.


She asked me, 

Do voodoo queens

dream of saints?


There is good reason

There is not much here

for my kind.

I simply could not

bring myself to cry,

On the sticky clay

of my uncertainty,


-----





©2023 Christopher Reilley 

I would love to know what you thought about this piece. 
Please consider leaving a comment.

Comments

  1. this is great found poetry - I also liked the gap between thee
    "Do voodoo queens
    dream of saints?

    There is good reason"
    It gives pause for thought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one, Christopher! The lines fit together well, and I especially like the lines:
    ‘Every tunnel,
    by definition,
    has an end’
    and the phrase ‘sticky clay of my uncertainty’.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful working of fate here, to provide you with excellent elements that you skillfully assembled Chris. This felt cohesive and comfortable. Well crafted… 🙂✌🏼

    ReplyDelete
  4. These lines lined up so cohesively!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts