Mothers Day Lilacs




Mothers Day Lilacs

I busted my ass again this year. I mean, I worked hard.

Tulip bulbs in the fall, fertilizer before the first snowfall, mulching tree beds, hauling water barrels in and out of storage every season, early spring attacking grubs, man, I hate the damn grubs. 

I work the whole yard, but I do it for one flower.

Cutting the bittersweet back so it does not choke the lilacs is getting harder every year. Every year it tries to dominate and overpower the sweeter flower.

But I have to have the lilacs. The second half of May smells like heaven on earth.

She loved the expansive spray of fragrant purple blossoms, she said it was one of the reasons she bought the property. The scent reminds me of her every year.

I work hard every season, and this year is no different.

For how can I be sure I shall see again the world on the first of May? 

She didn't get to.

------



Prosery prompted by this line:

“For how can I be sure
I shall see again
The world on the first of May”
–From “May Day” by Sara Teasdale

By those up to "May"hem over at DVerse Poets.

©2022 Christopher Reilley 

I would love to know what you thought about this piece. 
Please consider leaving a comment.

Comments

  1. So very very sad... lilacs are later where we live, and I have to say they grow like weed but I really loved the way you kept the sorrowful message till the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WEll.....first I'll say, I LOVE lilacs! But most importantly, what an amazing way to work in the line....flawlessly. The frustration with the plantings and the work....we feel it in your words and in the rhythm and pacing of the lines. And then we feel the sorrow at the end...and the reason. Just a wonderful write!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well....don't know why it says "anonymous"....that was lillian posting the comment from lillianthehomepoet.

      Delete
    2. So poignant and so very well done. Love this.

      Delete
    3. Such a tender, poignant story. You worked the line in so seamlessly. Lilacs do have a beautiful scent, but I also a little sad--I think of Whitman's poem.

      Delete
  3. I like story straight but also as a metaphor. Flowers are like family, and I'm glad the lilacs keep her memory fresh for you. Definitely worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done. Nice take on the prompt! Lilacs were my mom's favorite also!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A brutal realization at the end. Enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't seen but I hope to see lilacs one day. That last line packs a punch. I did not see that coming.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts