King of the Crows



King of the Crows

There is not much here for my kind - 
arid fields, trees replaced by cell towers.
They flock and squabble
over rotted corn,
taking sides
in a war
about
French fries in a parking lot.

In my oily black cloak of office
I sound the call to collect,
to come together.

I am ignored by
those who have learned
that conflict
covers fear 
like snowfall.

You have no time
to pay attention,
you are busy
with empty bellies,
hungry chicks,
coming winter.

I feel your pain,
fear your loss,
regret my role
as first of the fallen.

But I am He Who Flies First,
I am sworn by wing and talon
to bear your joys and your pain,
until seed falls from the sky
and so I do.

As I must.

------------



©2022 Christopher Reilley 

I would love to know what you thought about this piece. 
Please consider leaving a comment.

Comments

  1. That war over the french fries in a parking lot simply has to be won I think

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a haunting image, and imagery, you have used here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is absolutely fantastic! I so enjoyed this one, Christopher :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. This applies not only to the crows but to humankind. Love this part best: that conflict
    covers fear
    like snowfall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even the king of the crows is reduced to feeding his flock thoughts and prayers...

    ReplyDelete
  6. "conflict
    covers fear
    like snowfall."

    Fantastic image. Grand poem. Luv the photo you teamed up with this poem

    Much💛love

    ReplyDelete
  7. That last verse is really amazing and the finishing line perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Regal words and so many burdens for a great and mighty leader. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoyed this, Christopher. Well-written and wonderful imagery. It rings true.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow... this is amazing! <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it! King of the Crows........I have watched them have a party in the back of a pickup where an unwitting tourist left his bags of groceries.........the war in the parking lot reminded me of that. I especially love your closing stanza.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love "oily black cloak of office" and "conflict covers fear like snowfall". It felt like it was about human wars too, as well as about crows. I couldn't help thinking of the Ukraine but also of any war. And the last stanza... so powerful. It's an amazing poem.

    ReplyDelete
  13. conflict
    covers fear
    like snowfall.... loved the way you've captured the mood .. and especially that line...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the perspective in this poem, He Who Flies First bearing his responsibilities. I am saddened by the struggle of the crows for survival. Representative of the greater struggle. I really enjoyed this poem. I love seeing things through the eyes of earth's critters.

    ReplyDelete
  15. taking sides
    in a war
    about
    French fries in a parking lot. - I love these lines so much

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts