The Empty Box Theory



Stock Image



The Empty Box Theory

The kittens are gone, 
and my humans 
have mistaken a quieter house 
for solitude.

I have watched them 
rediscover each other 
with the astonishment of creatures 
who have spent twenty years 
looking everywhere for reading glasses, 
only to discover them 
in the fur on their heads.

There is something 
about humans gone silver 
discovering they still have appetites. 
They spend decades
believing desire is a young animal, 
then wake one morning 
to find the old beast 
sitting patiently 
at the foot of the bed.

Age does not kill hunger. 
It simply removes the need 
to pretend 
hunger is embarrassing.

My humans now look at each other differently. 
Less like roommates. More like accomplices.

I approve of this.

After all, 
life is short,
the human kits have moved out, 
eventually everyone gets cold.

Personally, 
I intend to spend my remaining years 
pursuing the three great pleasures: 
eating, sleeping, 
and preventing anyone else 
from having privacy.

Unlike my humans, 
I have no need 
to rediscover my appetite.

I never lost it.

-----



©2026 Christopher Reilley I would love to know what you thought about this piece. Please consider leaving a comment.

Comments

Popular Posts