Five Things You Face When You Go



@Westbridge



Five Things You Face When You Go

Home is the old trick we played on time,
a kitchen full of noise, shoes breeding by the door,
your photographs leaning against one another
like they have been drinking and know a secret.
I cared for these walls, but you made them family.

East is morning, and you are its impossible children,
walking toward a world that has no idea who you are yet.
Let it find out. Let it be surprised.
You were never meant to spend your whole lives
being the people I already know how to love.

South is heat, weather, bad decisions and good stories,
the country where every road eventually charges admission.
You will lose things. You will win things.
You will occasionally confuse the two, as I did,
and discover that growing up is mostly expensive education.

West is where the sun goes down carrying everybody's youth,
and someday you will look back from some city I cannot name
and understand why I always stood a little too long at the door.
It was never because I doubted you could leave.
It was because I knew you would.

North is the hard country, the beautiful unknown,
where your father's advice becomes increasingly theoretical.
So take your courage. Take your stubbornness. Take your ridiculous hope.
Take everything good we managed to give you
and improve upon it, which is the proudest thing you can do for us.

-----


©2026 Christopher Reilley 

 Meeting the Bar for DVerse Poets Pub, and missing my adult daughters.

I would love to know what you thought about this piece. 
Please consider leaving a comment.

Comments

  1. Christopher this is a poem I wish I'd written! The directions are full of imaginative imagery of possibilities and a real joy to read and re-read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luv the north, the last stanza

    Much love

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seemed abstract at first and as the poem continued one realised it's about family and only at the end do we know it's an offspring finding their own way as he or she must. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts