It Was Just a Kiss


A kiss is the juxtaposition of two orbicular oris muscles in the state of contraction, if you are a physician. If you are a mathematician, a kiss is two divided by nothing. I have also heard it said that a kiss is the contraction of the mouth due to the expansion of the heart. That one was from a physicist.

But if you are a poet, ah, a kiss is so much more than that.



------------

IT WAS JUST A KISS


It was just a kiss.
How was I to know it would drop me
into madness,
compulsion,
fervor?

So simple an act.
Coming together for a slice of time,
yet I am bound -
a prisoner -
trapped.

Lives intersected,
The heart’s addition of one plus one
equaling merely one.
Catalyst of
rebirth.

My mouth knows hunger,
having tasted of heaven’s banquet,
unsatisfied
with earthly
desserts.

A life completed
is now dependent on another.
it wasn’t Magic.
It was just
a kiss.

Popular Posts