It Was Just a Kiss




A kiss is the juxtaposition of two orbicular oris muscles in the state of contraction, if you are a physician. If you are a mathematician, a kiss is two divided by nothing. I have also heard it said that a kiss is the contraction of the mouth due to the expansion of the heart. That one was from a physicist.

But if you are a poet, ah, a kiss is so much more than that.

------------

IT WAS JUST A KISS


It was just a kiss.
How was I to know it would drop me
into madness,
compulsion,
fervor?

So simple an act.
Coming together for a slice of time,
yet I am bound -
a prisoner -
trapped.

Lives intersected,
The heart’s addition of one plus one
equaling merely one.
Catalyst of
rebirth.

My mouth knows hunger,
having tasted of heaven’s banquet,
unsatisfied
with earthly
desserts.

A life completed
is now dependent on another.
it wasn’t Magic.
It was just
a kiss.

----


This poem appeared in "One Night Stanzas"
 
available from Big Table Publishing.
-----
Shared with those liplocked folks over at DVerse Poets.
-----
©2009 Christopher Reilley

 
I would love to know what you thought about this piece. 
Please consider leaving a comment.

Comments

  1. This is spellbindingly beautiful — captivating! Wonderful Chris… 🙂✌🏼

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s never just a kiss as far as I’m concerned, Chris, and your poem proves it! I don’t know anyone who wasn’t dropped into ‘madness, compulsion, fervor’, if only for a moment. It might seem a simple act to some, but for others it is nigh on impossible, but when it happens, it’s something to write in a poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you prove to yourself that a kiss is so much more than meet the lips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is absolutely splendid!! I resonate with; "My mouth knows hunger, having tasted of heaven’s banquet." 💜💜

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love reading specially this part:

    My mouth knows hunger,
    having tasted of heaven’s banquet,
    unsatisfied
    with earthly
    desserts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "So simple an act.
    Coming together for a slice of time,"

    Oh Wow!!!!
    Much❤love

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your definition of a kiss, especially the 1+1=1 so romantic!! 💘

    ReplyDelete
  8. Damn!!! You had me laughing & crying at the same time. Quite a punch of reality. Very nicely done!

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  9. Damn! So full of passion. Really hits you, what just a KISS can do to people.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "My mouth knows hunger,
    having tasted of heaven’s banquet..."

    "t was just
    a kiss..."

    Just a kiss? Ooooh - not when it's that good! Nice!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts