The Here and Now



THE HERE AND NOW


Come live this moment, the Here and Now
among the vast cascade of years.
Wring every drop that Fates allow
from cold jealousies and furnished fears.

Average lovelies are forever fifteen,
while true beauty grows older above.
No great passion in those too green;
while fine for lust, but not for Love.

Eventually you might come to see
my soul by yours beguiled,
our dance of Love will be as free
as the laughter of a playful child.

Come love me, for what time may take
before you must drift away.
Of my hunger a virtue I will make
and dine upon you while I may.

Let us wrestle with the hand of Fate
and if our romance is meant,
let love be something we can create
despite others' attempts to prevent.
-----

Inspired by the notion of being young and green by those fecund folks over at DVerse Poets.

-----



©2024 Christopher Reilley 

I would love to know what you thought about this piece. 
Please consider leaving a comment.

Comments

  1. I enjoyed this so much, every turn of thought and rhyme. Love too how it reminded me of Christopher Marlowe's poem from the very start, but for the tempered maturity of lines like "No great passion in those too green;
    while fine for lust, but not for Love." --- A wonderful read, with a passion to be wondered at by those who yet long to be "green" in love.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts