Love Poem From a Practical Writer

AI Artwork generated by the Bytesized Studios


Love Poem From a Practical Writer

Dance like the picture won't be tagged. 
Love like you've never been unfriended. 
Tweet like nobody is following.
Live without depending, love without pretending, 
listen without defending, speak without offending.

Good luck with that. I can’t take my own advice.
Tweet like nobody is following,
great council, except I don’t tweet at all anymore,
after some billionaire ruined it for everybody,
so nobody is following me, save my sins and shadows.

Not really much of a dancer any more so I’m okay there,
I’m gray, and creaky, and unlikely to be out shaking it,
especially when I could be at home writing poems,
wrestling words, and staying off socials, so I’ll never
dance like the picture won’t be tagged.

Since our lives intersected, I learned I couldn’t 
live without depending, love without pretending,
it’s worth my peace of mind, but not worth losing you.
I am a part of my society and no burden on it,
but I am a castaway without you by my side.

Truth is totally free, but lies cost more than I’m willing to pay.
For the sake of what I thought was true I wasn’t able to
listen without defending, speak without offending.
You went your way and I had to find a new way, alone.
I wrote a thousand quatrains about your eyes. Burned them.

We are bound together, by the inherent magic of ideas, 
strung like pearls, sentences caressing the skin of our souls.
You still click on what I write, write thoughts for me to find,
but you forgot that I will live within you forever, my dear -
Love like you’ve never been unfriended.

-----

This Cascade poem shared for Open Link Night over at DVerse Poets


-----


©2024 Christopher Reilley 

I would love to know what you thought about this piece. 
Please consider leaving a comment.

Comments

  1. "I am a part of my society and no burden on it,
    but I am a castaway without you by my side."
    And then come the next two stanzas and "I wrote a thousand quatrains...."
    Oh my. The words unburden the soul, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Truth is totally free, but lies cost more than I’m willing to pay.'
    Do you even realise just how profound those words are?
    Damn! The best line I've read in ages. The rest of it's pretty good, too.
    Thank you. Enjoyed it. Really did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems the story of our life. But we still write and we still love like there is no tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What good advice in that first stanza. And then... reality, and so well done with good humor.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts