First Day

First Day


I have before me a span of days with today being the first one.

While I am unsure how many are yet to come, their nascent potential is beyond my scope, with only this first, perfect day before me.

A full day, with an uncanny ability to draw out my personal time into an exact, measured meter, yet still be full of the chaotic unknown, connections to those I love, and loathe, possibilities, problems, and most of all people who will awaken in me the challenge of betterment; in my choices, my responses, my thoughts.

The wings of my abilities will take me nowhere unless my toes release their white knuckled grip from the dirt.

I may never reach the boiling point, but as of now, I am steaming.
-----

Time is the one thing
That prevents everything
From happening now.

First haibun of 2024 shared with those newly-minted folks over at DVerse Poets!
-----


©2020 Christopher Reilley

I would love to know what you thought about this piece. Please consider leaving a comment.

Comments

  1. I really enjoyed your haibun, Christopher, especially the thought of having ‘a span of days’ before you, full of ‘nascent potential’, a perfect day to begin with, yet still ‘full of the chaotic unknown’, and the image of toes releasing their ‘white knuckled grip from the dirt’. Your haiku is timeless - it could fit any season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good reminder to make the most out each day. The uncertainity in the first para converts into a sense of excitement and determination at the end. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This is incredibly deep and powerful writing. I especially like; "The wings of my abilities will take me nowhere unless my toes release their white knuckled grip from the dirt."💘💘

    ReplyDelete
  4. A gauntlet of resolve! I like how you are not alone though, you have connections and "people who will awaken in me the challenge of betterment". Powerful stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful poem, Christopher. Standout line for me:
    "The wings of my abilities will take me nowhere unless my toes release their white knuckled grip from the dirt."
    "

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love this... and yes every day is just another step into what is yet unknown.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Outstanding! "The wings of my abilities will take me nowhere unless my toes release their white knuckled grip from the dirt."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts