Finally Clean



Light blisters without pain,
bathing the world in incandescent fire.
The turmoil within becalms
for the first time in eons.
Deep within my core
I can feel the cancer recede,
shrink away from the Holy
like the blasphemy it is.
I am awoken by the presence.

If I am indeed awake,
then please, let me never sleep again,
for this dream is the one I would grasp
as a drowning man grasps
at the thinnest of reeds,
hoping against hope,
believing against cynicism,
railing against Death’s glacial embrace
with the blaze of Faith
that only the damned can know.

Mind gives but a moment to wonder -
why me, why have I been chosen?
Yet the answer is less important
than the presence, the thrum of life,
the warmth that challenges the sun
because it comes from within.

The vision from my soul smiles,
I wonder if this was why smiles were invented -
that something so lovely as to be perfect
could conceivably improve.
I am ashamed at how unworthy I am,
yet greedy that this should continue forever.
I live, a child of His wonder,
existing because He wills it so,
bathed in forgiveness,
finally clean.



©2009 Christopher Reilley

I would love to know what you thought about this piece. 
Please consider leaving a comment.

Comments

Popular Posts