Reincarnation Blues




 REINCARNATION BLUES

There have been lives lived before this one.
I have been people both bad and very good.
Walked beneath ancient and foreign suns,
Found breakfast in wattled and dusky wood.

I have been a rogue, a scoundrel, a truly bad man,
And there were times I was devout and had faith.
Lives gone by in which I’ve stolen what I can,
Born as eldest, youngest, born seventh or eighth.

I was a lieutenant in the American Calvary,
A seamstress in the court of Spanish kings,
A politician, manipulating royal rivalry -
Whispering in ears and pulling on strings.

Some lives I have lived were placid and quiet,
Some of them shortened by famine or war.
Once I was involved in a widespread riot.
I once gave my life for the woman I adore.

I have been a leader, a chief, a politician.
There were times I was the laziest man under the sun.
Been dragged screaming down the road to perdition,
And gone to grace after a life as a nun.

In this current life I am merely a simple poet.
Of my life and family my words have been wrung.
Blessed I am, and don’t think I don’t know it,
Having lived so many chances to be foolish and young.

When this life is over, and the next one begins
I hope that I am able to see past the Veil,
To be able to avoid my past lives sins,
And to weave my story with ever finer detail.

©2015 Christopher Reilley
I would love to know what you thought about this piece. Please consider leaving a comment.

Comments

  1. How interesting to have lived so many lives. This made me think of the movie Patton with George C. Scott...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fascinating ...I sit here pondering who I may have been and how many times I was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed. It must be nice to be so familiar with your former selves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A masterpiece of a poem! I especially like; "Blessed I am, and don’t think I don’t know it/Having lived so many chances to be foolish and young. "💝💝

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts