Power Words




POWER WORDS

Do yourself a favor.
Take a moment away from your life,
your trivialities,
your morning coffee and pastry,
or the skimming and surfing of the Web,
take a moment to consider my words.

The words you are reading
right this instant
are probably showing up
in a ten-point Times Roman
or a Verdana
because that is what
your computer gives you,
and you accept it.

Little attention
to little poems,
reducing everything
to a succession
of diminutives.

You should know that I am writing this
in a HUGE 72 point
Impact Extra Bold,
with an extra red stroke!
Letters so massive,
so important,
they put stress fractures
on my monitor.
Words so
singularly important
God Himself
plagiarizes from me.

Because these words
are crucial to who I am.
Vital, in fact.
They are
Catharsis
Truth
Pain
Love
Passion
Hope
Art
and life.

But these words
are more than my ego,
more than a desire
to be read by you,
more than a need to be heard.

These words are a connection
between us.
It is you
that brings power to this poem.

Otherwise,
it is just
a pile of words.

-------------



©2015 Christopher Reilley

I would love to know what you thought about this piece. Please consider leaving a comment.

Comments

  1. I applaud you for continuing to write regardless of the difficulty. It's what a writer does, putting the words out there. I love the blogosphere which connects we poets to each other so we can share our work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's exactly right. We cast the words out and hope someone will catch them. (Kerfe--they will not let me comment any other way no matter how many times I sign into Google)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You certainly got my attention! Yes, poetry makes these connections possible. Thank you for considering your reader.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts