Garden of Poems




GARDEN OF POEMS

Do you think it odd
that I have poems in my trees?
The birds read them
before they settle in for the night.
They make songs of them,
practicing quite hard
until they are ready to sing them.

I strung words among the branches
and watched the birds weave them
into words only they and I understand.
Sweet-smelling, harbinger words.

As the morning light bends
the birds try out my poems
sifting through them until they find one,
just one,
that says what they want to say.

With morning light
the words of the birdsong,
written on the wind in tree sap,
make poetry for all time.



©2015 Christopher Reilley 
I would love to know what you thought about this piece. Please consider leaving a comment.

This piece dedicated to the Dedham Square Artist Guild 

Comments

  1. I cant tell you how much this poem delights me - the whole idea of stringing poems in trees for the birds to read, to make into songs. This poem just made my day. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lyrical poetry composed one word, one note at a time. I would love to hear their arrangement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The birds read them before they settle in for the night."
    This is great, very imaginative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's nothing better than waking to birdsong and then hearing its poetry all day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. From Susan: I love the idea of this partnership with birds. i love that they don't accept all the human writing, but they find one (at least) to agree with and sing. I hope the protagonist here persists, that (s)he always shows up.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts