After the Typhoon

 
 
AFTER THE TYPHOON



After the typhoon of finding you,
after the hideaway weekend
eating chocolate covered strawberries
in a steaming Jacuzzi…

After serenades, and love poems I have scribbled,
dancing in our new home
cooking for you,
fighting with you…

... after the many meals together,
devouring each other with our eyes,
working hard to build a life together
I find you standing beside me.

At times, I cannot recall what life was
before you cast your shadow on me.
The pain of old mistakes returns
like arthritis on a rainy day.

You, are the surest balm to my hurt,
a soothing cool hand on my fevered brow.
We rub each other -
but only the right way.


-----

This poem appeared in "Breathing for Clouds" available from Big Table Publishing.
-----

©2004, 2022 Christopher Reilley
 
I would love to know what you thought about this piece. 
Please consider leaving a comment.

Comments

Popular Posts