After Ten Years



AFTER TEN YEARS

I smile, for I am carrying your aroma
as I walk about my busy day.

My thoughts crowd mundane concerns
into shadowed corners, where they wait
until I have been with you once more,
and been balmed by your spirit
so that my own finds rest.

How far would I walk
if my hand did not hold yours?

How would I survive without you
casting your shadow in my path,
challenging my ideas,
making me laugh,
how far would I get?

Likely not far enough
to fall down the steps, alone.

I raise my collar to my nose,
that was where you lay your head last.
You are with me once more
and I can hear your voice, calling my name.

I quicken my steps, and head for home
where the word has meaning for me.


©2014 Christopher Reilley

I would love to know what you thought about this piece. Please consider leaving a comment.

Comments

Popular Posts