Truth



TRUTH

I am pissed off at Truth.

Truth always wins,
no matter how hard I try.

Truth and I have an uneasy relationship
at the best of times
but lately, Truth cheats.

Have you ever arm-wrestled with Truth?
It is not easy.

I sweat, and pull, grunt and fight.
Truth is as placid as the lunar surface.
I perspire, torrents of moisture,
the envy of waterfalls everywhere,
Truth is dry as the desert floor.

I curse, whine, piss and moan,
swear like a trucker with crabs.
Truth blows pink bubbles of gum.

Truth wins yet again.

And Truth keeps victories silent,
never needing to preen, or gloat.
Truth simply accepts that Truth should win.

I tell my friends that
Truth came in next to last.


-----

This poem appeared in "Breathing for Clouds" available from Big Table Publishing.
-----

©2009, 2022 Christopher Reilley
 
I would love to know what you thought about this piece. 
Please consider leaving a comment.

Comments

  1. Love this post.....a ranting at Truth, so to speak/write!
    "Truth blows pink bubbles of gum." This image is amazing....sometimes I really wonder where the words come from! Just a great image!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, I did enjoy reading your poem, Christopher. "Have you ever arm-wrestled with Truth? / It's not easy." Like boxing with the wind...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this especially; "Truth is placid as a the lunar surface." Stunning write!💝

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that is you have to have alternative truths in your back pocket.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the midst of al your struggling, luv the image of truth
    "Truth blows pink bubbles of gum."😊

    Much love...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts