I Am A Poem




I AM A POEM

I am a poem.

I am more than a collection of random words.

I am much more than meter and rhyme.

I was wrestled from magic, fixed into place,
and spun like candy floss into being.

If I can live one day,
one single day
before moving down the list of poems
like me
that wish to exist,
I will have meant something.

If I can relay to you, and you and you,
something different,
something other,
in a way you not only understand
but feel -
I will have succeeded.

If I can become;
deep meaning in every line,
taught to future poets,
loved by one and all
I will have triumphed.

And win or lose, pass or fail,
I will happily
break down into words
to be wrestled into shape
for the next poem
at the top of tomorrow's list.




©2010 Christopher Reilley


I would love to know what you thought about this piece. 
Please consider leaving a comment.

Comments

  1. This is absolutely beautiful! I especially love; "If I can become; deep meaning in every line, taught to future poets, loved by one an all, I will have triumphed." Amen! Thank you so much for writing to the prompt 💝💝

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a poem that hits hard, because I think it's what any writer or poet can dream for and hope to reach. It's sad that many well-known writers, take F. Scott Fitzgerald as one example, are not recognized until long after their death. I think a question to ponder is would we want to reach stardom in our lives and see how that can consequently impact us, or achieve it in death where it leaves more to mystery about who we are? But, I know that's not entirely what this poem is about, just a thought I had from reading one line. Admittedly, I got a tad off-topic, hahaha.

    I believe, for the most part, we wish to be recognized in how we reach(ed) someone. If it helped them, if it made them see differently, if it changed their view point. If we can have an impact, preferably good and thought-provoking, on someone then we reached that person in a way they may perhaps had never felt before or understood. If there's anything to want and hope for, in my opinion, it would have to be that.

    A very beautiful and brooding poem. :) I love the honest and down-to-earth feel, while still remaining very poetic. That's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, moving write, your words have made a difference today! 💓

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really feel that we should always try to fill the poems with such weight... I think what matters most should be the reader.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admire the way you cherish the spirits of poems. All they want is a chance to be heard, and if they are blessed, to be remembered. So well-articulated, Christopher.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! Poems on blogs are so ephemeral, sliding down the page to be replaced with the next one, no matter how good they are. And this is really good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know this piece! It's the one I responded to here:

    https://skepticskaddish.com/2021/12/03/i-am-a-poem-or-a-poet/

    I love this poem, Chris!

    -David [ben Alexander]

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this poem! All that matters is touching someone with your words.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts