Width of Belief



WIDTH OF BELIEF

The length of yearning
is two oceans and a continent wide.
I measure its dewy breadth
in hothouse nights,
stained with salt and tears.

The height of loneliness
is a round trip to heaven and back,
leaving me breathless
and hollow, sounding only of echo -
answering myself.

The duration of pain is the time it takes -
no more and no less,
each grief tattoo fading at its own pace;
from purple to yellow to pink
from hurt to health, eventually.

The size of love is infinite,
of course, because of its miracle.
The more you give away
the more you have.

In my greed I offer you all I have.



-----

This poem appeared in "Breathing for Clouds" available from Big Table Publishing.
-----

©2009 Christopher Reilley
 
I would love to know what you thought about this piece. 
Please consider leaving a comment.

Comments

  1. Your opening stanza drew me right in, and set the mood of underlying pain. I love "The duration of pain is the time it takes." So true. So wise. And I love the offering of infinite love at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some beautiful lines in this one...the length of yearning is two oceans and a continent wide
    You are only free when you give everything away

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts