Rage



RAGE

You may think that you know rage;
the hammered thumb,
the slow clerks,
a snarky boss,
the wife and the best buddy
tangled and tongue wrestling
on the family sofa.

Most folks think
that they have seen red.

My friend, they have not even seen pink.

But I myself, ah, well,
I have seen scarlet,
deepest burgundy,
vermillion,
magenta,
oxblood, on a really bad day.

And it pains me to say it,
but I let a woman do it to me;
turn me into something bestial,
made me drop the reins and bite.

What can you do
for bilious hatred
so vitriolic
that it would burn through decks
like sci-fi monster blood,
so thick with wheal
that it seeps from your pores
like garlic and vodka?

I talk about it to a willing stranger
whom I employ for this very purpose.
He is very receptive,
but I get the feeling,
he is churning,
watching me for signs
of impromptu behavior.

My experience
has so far
been latticed and curlicued
with difficulties.

But under the open sky
I spit my ANGER,
my HATE,
and my FURY
into the wind,
and yet I still walk away
with rage on my breath.

------------------


This poem appeared in the chapbook "Grief Tattoos" - get it for the Kindle HERE

It was also recently shared with DVersePoets from a prompt asking for poems concerning emotions including ANGER.

Comments

  1. your poem got me remembering being bullied and the day I said enough.
    thank you great poem

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christopher, you do describe that next level, rage, so well here. April was an ongoing exercise with it for me in regards to some family issues going on, so your poem seeps in very easily. It seems like rage often has a compounding/multiplying aspect to it, where it is thing upon thing upon thing that keeps it ramping up. I hope you've distanced yourself from that situation by now, and if not, that you are able to very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have felt something very similar and know that it will sometimes try to find it's way back in. Excellent write.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i can feel the anger as i read the words
    Great write

    much💛love

    ReplyDelete
  5. the anger, a deeper part, is so palpable. well described!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! You have describe your anger so well. The trauma of life carries with us like a shadow that is always there. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is quite simply ~~~ wonderful writing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel my own rage rising as I read this. Excellent poem!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts