At the Coffee Shop



AT THE COFFEE SHOP


Her lip quivers,
shivering at the injustice
he threw her a few minutes ago.

I stand quietly beside
the red chair
watching crystalline people,
pretending I am not waiting for you.

Back to her he went
like a child to a favorite toy,
forgetting how many broken toys
are in his past.

I watch him as he uses her,
a weapon against any kind of love.

I see her, flaring tender jealousies,
willing herself to love harder.

I want to gather her,
hug her like a child,
ask her why he captivates her.

And then I remember,
being fourteen.


-----

This poem appeared in "Breathing for Clouds" available from Big Table Publishing.
-----

©2014 Christopher Reilley
 
I would love to know what you thought about this piece. 
Please consider leaving a comment.

Comments

Popular Posts