Window to the West





WINDOW TO THE WEST


If I had a window that opened upon the west,
I would open it every dusk,
tether my will to the fading sun,
and allow it to pull me -
drag me across the studded curvature of the Earth,
bouncing me along topography and time
like a tin can behind a wedding car.

I'd savor the tastes of the middle of my land,
smell sweet corn in fields ten miles wide,
taste the dust of deserts becoming mud under my tongue,
scrape myself along asphalt and tarmac,
viewing my country up close and personal
until I had the salt of coral and brine
on the coast farthest from my home.

If I had a window to the western skies
I would spend the time to understand
how the pale blue of a day can
find the power to become cobalt of night
by passing through the fires of red.

I would thrust myself skyward at every chance,
a superhero who saves nothing but memories,
finding silken threads of gossamer
left behind by the death of the stars.
And before I returned to my window
I would scatter what I know of true love
leaving it behind for others to find
as they look out into their own skies.


-----
Shared with DVerse Poets as an elemental poem, containing references to the four elements.
-----

This poem appeared in "Breathing for Clouds" available from Big Table Publishing.
-----

©2014 Christopher Reilley
 
I would love to know what you thought about this piece. 
Please consider leaving a comment.

Comments

  1. Oh, beautiful journey! I love the repetition - like an incantation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Christopher--this is so incredibly beautiful. I think my favorite poem of yours. And-- if only one could do this. 💙

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how this poem starts out humbly, just the view from a west-facing window, and then--so beautifully, vividly and poetically--expands its scope in both topography and imagery until what the lucky reader has in the end is nothing short of a breath-taking poem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous, awe-inspiring--earth and air in a fresh perspective. For sure this one belongs in your "special" folder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully written specially the last stanza Chris.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. You really took us on a journey. Beautiful poem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely beautiful poem. I was carried along by it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Breath-taking imagery. This was a journey, but more so, a surrender .. to learn, discover, grow and finally leaving a trail of knowledge for others. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A stunning elemental poem, Christopher! I especially love the lines ‘tether my will to the fading sun, /and allow it to pull me’ and ‘taste the dust of deserts becoming mud under my tongue’. Also love the use of colour in the penultimate stanza.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can’t imagine a more up close and personal ride across the landscape, although in an astral travelling mode I hope.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts