Tears That Came Too Late




TEARS THAT CAME TOO LATE

You know, for almost forty years, I hated you, blamed you, tried my damndest to be nothing like you.

I patterned my life to be everything you were not. I learned to suppress the parts of me that came from you. Every time she cried it was your doing. Every time I lied, it was your doing. You were everything that I despised, never more so than when I saw it in the mirror.

Every New Year's Eve, I tell myself “This year’s a different thing, – I’ll not think of you.” Every year I lie to myself.

So why - fifteen long years after you drank yourself to death - when I saw your picture on Father’s Day, I cried for you,

Daddy.


© Christopher Reilley
-----

This prosery inspired in part, and born with amazing synchronicity to, the line in quotes, by Charlotte Mew (1869-1928) and used as a prompt by those annual memorists over at DVerse Poets.

-----
I would love to know what you thought about this piece. 
Please consider leaving a comment.

Comments

  1. Another sad story inspired by the prompt line, Christopher. I have a tear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I imagine so many people can relate to this, Such a sad story, Christopher, and so well-written. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some sad memories never seem to leave us! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your prosery resonates with me. It's a wound that may never heal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goosebumps. This was written from the heart, it really hits hard.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts