My Demand to Know








MY DEMAND TO KNOW


Forgive me my demand to know,
my desire to reach the infinite.
I have asked and implored,
begged and beseeched
in my own way,
thrust my sentience into the ice-blue
past the spangles of the stars
and the eternal of the darkness,
straining to hear the anthems
to find something… more.

How grandiose I must seem,
as if I might know more
than the rose’s sweet fragrance,
the bloom of a cherry blossom,
or the glissando of the brook, 
not once, but twice in a blue moon.

Yet I still hoist my petition,
seeking the answer to both reason and truth.

I ask simply for a balm
for I am a captive of my soul’s descent.

I confess I do not pray for succor
only consecration,
nothing the singing wind
could not achieve on its own.


-----

This poem appeared in "Breathing for Clouds" available from Big Table Publishing.
-----

©2014 Christopher Reilley
 
I would love to know what you thought about this piece. 
Please consider leaving a comment.

Comments

  1. I really like this. The desire to know that I think is part of being human--especially as we gaze at the vast expanse of space. You slipped in twice in a blue moon so well, too. I particularly like the last two lines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am smitten with the second stanza. And for me, the illustration goes perfectly with this stanza!
    "I ask simply for balm" 0h my yes....make it so!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not think curiosity would kill a cat... we always seek answers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts