Stopping By The Old House




STOPPING BY THE OLD HOUSE



I stand in the driveway
marveling how small the house really is,
how tiny the garage
which was sailing ship,
fortress, and dungeon
back in my day.

A brief detour on my way home
from a sales trip
brought me within 5 miles
of my origins,
So here I am.

I find the meadow anxious
with grasshoppers and heat shimmer
and knew I was home.

There was the set of steps
where I required seventeen stitches,
back there the pine tree
I was afraid to climb down
for two solid days.

The first house I had ever known –
the back stairs that led to our room,
the dining room where the poodle -
in an epileptic frenzy -
smashed himself to death,
the garden room closed off
and only accessible
if you pull out the refrigerator
to get something out of storage,
and even the cedar room
in the center of the attic,
the source of much fantastical terror.

I sit on the stoop,
soaking up sunlight
like I did when I was ten,
and I can hear my mother’s voice
calling my name.

Supper must be ready.



I would love to know what you thought about this piece. Please consider leaving a comment.

Comments

  1. Amazing how the years can change our perspective

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great poem of nostalgia and great images of your childhood home.
    I love this line...
    I find the meadow anxious
    with grasshoppers and heat shimmer
    and knew I was home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, such incredible, stirring, and lucid imagery here. I agree with Phillip, perspective is amazing as the years shift, as we move on to new moments and opportunities. Then, we look at the past--how so much has changed when we never imagined, at that point in time, it would. Those moments always seem like they last forever in our memory; it makes me remember the first home I grew up in and this just is quite evocative to me. The good, the bad, and how I can still recall the quirks of the house itself... That's what this brings back to me with nostalgia and the utter presence of what home means.

    A very great piece. I enjoyed reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't laid eyes on mine in almost half a century now; am considering a visit in the Fall.
    Last time I saw it, I had very similar reminiscences as you've so masterfully noted here. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a lovely remembrance ~~ huge sighs from me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's too bad they couldn't be all happy memories of a place...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is incredibly heart-stirring! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is beautiful and brilliant! Really pulls my heartstrings.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts