What Else Can I Do?






WHAT ELSE CAN I DO?


Many events occur
while the world spins
on the tip of God’s finger.

Ocean drops fall like tears
depositing themselves on the walls of caves,
winds whistle tunelessly
catching hair in a madcap dance,
and depositing trash into lonely corners.

Plans made by man get lost in the current of life
as they discover that those plans must paddle twice as hard
to avoid the jagged rocks
on the far side of the precipice.

And we age, and we learn, and we die,
sometimes with a smile on our lips
or else with the last kiss we will ever know,
our breath joining the chorus
as we gasp our last gasp into the ether.

My head, even now, thrown back in laughter
has bought me far more than money thrown forward.

I could press myself down, deeper into the mattress,
or work myself to death to pay for it,
or I could laugh myself sick at the folly of it all,
but I’ll never slap my own face as hard as the sea has done,
nor will I find forgiveness in a barmaid’s smile.

These things and more could I do,
while the globe spins on its course
oblivious to my wants or needs.

The only place I will find a helping hand
is inside my own sleeve.

Comments

  1. Wow, this is expressed so well. I love the world spinning on the tip of God's finger. He likely regrets giving us free will. Smiles. Look at the mess we have made of it. I especially love the stanza beginning with "ocean drops fall like tears." Wonderful writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many choices, wasted. But laughter is always a good one I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is man's separation from all-that-is that leaves him lonely dust, individually and collectively. "we've got to get ourselves back to the garden." (Joni Mitchell, from Woodstock) I just don't see anything less than a united effort by humanity as being able to save our place in existence

    ReplyDelete
  4. "While the world spins on the tip of G-d’s finger." I think that must be quite a balancing act on His part; somehow, He keeps the world on its axis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have some great thoughts here and man's plans are usually not the best thought out plans, it depends on the underlying agenda. I wonder how we ever got to this place in time. Age does make one reflective but, I am not sure all are wiser. Freewill
    often encompasses poor decision making. At least you can laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't know about that...a barmaid's smile could have a healing effect...every smile counts because they are rare. Laughter is essential I agree

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts