I Beat him Every Time




I BEAT HIM EVERY TIME


He never gave up, but I was more skilled,
even though he tried so hard.
His Rock’em Sock’em robot always got killed,
and I always played the winning card.

At backgammon we made up our own set of rules
but the luck of the dice fell my way.
In Museum Jackpot I collected more jewels
until he cried and refused to play.

I beat him at Othello, Risk, and Candy Land,
his Battleship got sunk every single time.
Whether Poker, War, or Fish, I had the winning hand,
and at Clue I solved each and every crime.

“But it’s not fair!” he said in a voice with a whine,
as I whipped him at checkers once more.
It is true the victories always seemed to be mine,
and as a loser, he was continually sore.

Of course, I know the honest truth
of my continued gaming perfection;
I was alone for most of my youth,
competing against my own reflection.

-----
Shared with DVerse Poets for playtime.
-----



©2013 Christopher Reilley 

I would love to know what you thought about this piece. 
Please consider leaving a comment.

Comments

  1. At first this reminded me of my next younger brother and I where when I beat him he went ballistic. Wonderful insertion of the games and the rhymes. The turn at the end is truly poignant. When we are forced to play alone we always win and lose at the same time. Beautiful writing, Chris.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The win is never as wondrous when we also feel the frustration of the loser ... you captured this so well and the image was just right to set the mood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thoroughly enjoyed the trip, CR; the tour of all those board games, increasing in complexity as one ages, and admire your choice of form to keep it jaunty. Great stuff; Thanks. One must remember, though, that (especially when playing against the mirror) when you win it means you gotta lose, so ya gotta be ready, eh? Makes one stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was thinking of brothers too--but in playing yourself you do always get to win, even if you also lose...(Kerfe...it won't let me comment any other way)

    ReplyDelete
  5. makes me glad I had a large collection of siblings to keep me company.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so enjoyed this one, Christopher! I used to love playing backgammon a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So often true, the only one we can win against is ourselves (and indeed the only one who wants to play)... personally I always lose in solitaire

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh! I loved the revelation at the end!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts