An Irishman Explains Himself



AN IRISHMAN EXPLAINS HIMSELF




It is my own decision, my own preference,
my choice to be either liked or admired.
I have decided that fitting in is not nearly the same
as discovering where I belong.

And so I wander this world, and I watch.

I’ve seen the moments when dawn snuck up on the rooster,
witnessed the many times a good woman took him back,
and the times he let her down again.
I was horrified but not surprised
to learn how much bad there is,

If you choose to seek it out.

And I’ve been present at moments of such wonder,
such magnificent intricacy
and statistical anomaly,
that I weep for their transience.

They’ve often happened at the dinner table.

There has been growth, and reversal,
pain and pleasure, fortune and hunger,
and the boundless sundry wants and desires
of someone who has always faced life
leading with his chin.

I cherish my solitude.

Sometimes I’ll hop a ride and end up somewhere else;
just because I can. I’ve slept under a blanket of stars
all alone, with nothing between me and the heavens
but the mistakes I’ve made.

If I never cross the line how do I know where it is?

I’ve come to believe that of all man’s endeavors,
of all the inventions, practices, rituals, customs or habits -
the finest and most complete form of communication
possible between two souls
costs nothing more than the time it takes.

I believe in kissing.



-----

This poem appeared in "Breathing for Clouds" available from Big Table Publishing.
-----

©2008 Christopher Reilley
 
I would love to know what you thought about this piece. 
Please consider leaving a comment.

Comments

  1. I like the philosophy expressed here: 'with nothing between me and the heavens
    but the mistakes I’ve made.' If you can be ok in such a situation, it's a sign of self-acceptance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "If I never cross the line how do I know where it is?"

    Your words so ponderable...

    Much💚love

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this especially; "I’ve slept under a blanket of stars all alone, with nothing between me and the heavens but the mistakes I’ve made." Beautifully done. 💝💝

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's a lot to think about here, but the final lines bring us to what is most worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many great lines to choose from, but I feel compelled the most to grasp this part: "I cherish my solitude.

    Sometimes I’ll hop a ride and end up somewhere else;
    just because I can. I’ve slept under a blanket of stars
    all alone, with nothing between me and the heavens
    but the mistakes I’ve made." - and I like the way in which these lines are an overture for the poems closing, and that the poem ends on a deep, personal, beautiful conviction.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is it wrong to say I'm proud that an Irishman wrote this. I raise a glass to you. Slainte'!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent. I especially liked "I have decided that fitting in is not nearly the same
    as discovering where I belong."

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’ve slept under a blanket of stars
    all alone, with nothing between me and the heavens
    but the mistakes I’ve made.

    Aye, we all carry our mistakes but, we can learn from those
    mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Too many good lines to quote here but I hope you will not be offended if I say this can be true not just for an Irishman but others too!
    Really, beautiful writing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great poem, and how good to have this on S:t Patrick's day

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts