An Aubade of Spring





AN AUBADE OF SPRING




Winter’s plodding sombre time
comes to a welcome close.
All things move slower in the cold
save my fingertips on my keyboard,
fallen leaves lie fallow
like fallen moods
lie sodden from their season’s melted blankets
awaiting the quickening
we all feel,
just out of sight.

The sonorous drone of winter’s groan -
will it spring into exalted tune
when it warms?
Will it expand into the hum
of a trillion lives beginning?
Would my sodden heart
begin an aria to new beginnings?
Would my curious hands
weave words of magical cures?

Can I see past the pain of arthritic joints
and shoveler’s calloused hands to find
new growth, new starts,
and second chances?

I hunger for the new,
to wash the taste of the past
from my lips.

And so I watch this patch of sun
crawl along my wall until it kisses me.
Giving up on the harsh memories
of frost and rime, I think only
of greenery, the twitter of birds
and the soft kiss of love.


-----

This poem appeared in "Breathing for Clouds" available from Big Table Publishing.
-----

©2014 Christopher Reilley
 
I would love to know what you thought about this piece. 
Please consider leaving a comment.

Comments

  1. very much a cusp poem - torn in the middle between old and new, young and old . So many contrasts you conjured here - I loved the crawling sun and that melodious opening
    "Winter’s plodding sombre time
    comes to a welcome close."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can identify with this sense of tired hopefulness and longing for overdue spring! I especially love these lines:

    'fallen leaves lie fallow
    like fallen moods'

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the hopefulness of that rebirth we all wish for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "like fallen moods lie sodden from their season’s melted blankets," sigh.. such rich and evocative use of language here ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved "and so I watch this patch of sun crawl along my wall until it kisses me". Your piece resonates for me in so many ways. As the decades rush by, each season asrrives and leaves with less fanfare.

    ReplyDelete
  6. favorite phrase:
    "awaiting the quickening."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope "springs" eternal...I enjoyed this aubade's hopeful tune.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "I hunger for the new,
    to wash the taste of the past
    from my lips." Don't we all! You sing the song of hope.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All questions that need answering.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is beautiful! I love hopefulness despite the arthritic hands and sodden heart.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts