The Formal Absence of Precious Things



THE FORMAL ABSENCE OF PRECIOUS THINGS

Though drowned for three decades
she steps fresh as creation
from the broken glass doors.
And then I remember, in that instant
that she is dead, and I am not,
this is another century, so
this must be another girl,
a newly minted stranger,
one with whom I will never speak.

I am awash in emotion -
not loss exactly
but a very particular awareness
of my own duration.

I see a beggar leaning against
a jewelry store façade,
his head pressed against the windows.
In those windows are small, empty pedestals,
formal absences of precious things,
now locked away for the night.

His legs wrapped in brown paper
look vaguely medieval,
a knight crafted from office materials.
He is the color of pavement,
his very race in question,
yet when he looks up at me
my own eyes peer out from his tangle of curls.

The girl who drowned so very long ago
settles down to my mind’s bottom,
swept down in a swirl of toffee hair
and less hurtful memories
to where my youth turns gently
in its accustomed tides
and I am more comfortable that way.

-----

Shared for Open Link Night over at DVersePoets

©2014 Christopher Reilley 

I would love to know what you thought about this piece. 
Please consider leaving a comment.

Comments

  1. This reads like a nightmare to me... so see yourself in the beggar and the drowned girl coming back reminds me of that feeling waking up in cold sweat...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! This was so striking. The images--ghosts--memories. I was hooked in the first stanza.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire your writing, specially the pacing and tension towards the end. For me, this is like a dreamscape, but also being aware of one's mortality and limitations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A huge BRAVO from this reader. Great write ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. A dream, a nightmare... whatever it is, you created stunning imagery.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts