Foul Vowels





FOUL VOWELS


An Agha Khan, at an ashram
that has grand, gala bacchanals
calls a vassal at hand
and asks that all staff
plan a ball.
An Arab lass
can draw a bath
and wash a man's back
athwart an altar,
a dwarf flaps a palm branch
fanning a fat maharaja.

Westerners retell the Greek legends;
the resplendent scenes, where,
hellbent free men seek revenge.
Restless Helen, the empress
weeps when she deserts
her fleece bed
where the regent sleeps.
She feels wretched, left here,
her needs never met.
Nevertheless, her demented fevers
render her cheerless.

King finch flits in gliding flight,
skimming limpid springs
which brim with living things -
fish with gilt fins
shrimp, krill.
Might I mimic whistling shrill chirps,
High pitch chirps
inspiring writing gimmicks?
Might I find bliss
grinning in mirth with misfit whims,
implicit in primitivism?

Books form cocoons of comfort.
Provosts who work for proctors
show tombs to hold bookworms.
Oxford profs show post-docs
how to gloss Wordworth's works,
Lolling on dorm-room cots.
So look for bookshops
known to stock lots of top-notch goods;
how-to books for jocks (how-to box, or how-to jog),
old colophons sport two sorts of logos;
oblong whorls or rococo scrolls.

Surf lulls us.
Bucks plus bulls running thru brush,
burrs clutch fur tufts.
Cubs plus pups hunt skunks,
thus, church nuns pluck uncut mums.
Such tumult upturns unsunk hulls -
gulls churr, ducks cluck.
Such scuds hurl up cumulus suds,
gusts murmur humdrum susurrus,
furls unfurl, curls uncurl.
Bulls pull up.


This poem is a puzzle, in that each stanza contains 11 lines, and only uses one vowel per stanza.


I'd love to know what you felt about this piece. Please consider leaving a comment.

Comments

  1. Wow! What a great use of internal rhyme and assonance. So many 'u" words help the poem flow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember doing a challenge like this once before... really good. Also remember another one where you should write without any letters that extends above or below (I think I was allowed)
    a c e i m n o s z

    ReplyDelete
  3. It took me a minute to get what you were saying with the puzzle, but I dove in with gusto once grokked. Dang that was fun to read aloud.

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s. I wrote the ms_lili comment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of fun images here, Chris :-) My favourite lines:

    "Might I find bliss
    grinning in mirth with misfit whims,
    implicit in primitivism?"

    "Books form cocoons of comfort."

    "Surf lulls us."

    "gusts murmur humdrum susurrus," :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A puzzle indeed, creating a whole new form. "Vowelization" perhaps. I kept looking for an acrostic message, so appreciate your after comments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm playing with the double acrostic form now, but this was like a jigsaw puzzle with no picture, it took me a long while to finish.

      Delete
  7. My goodness this is incredibly potent!! 💝💝

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whew, this was a puzzle to read but it looks fun to do. I read that you used one one vowel per stanza and I am amazed at your word choices. Creatively done, cheers!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the imagery here in your words, definitely was a puzzle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Stupendous. Very creatively written.

    ReplyDelete
  11. However you created this ... I am in total awe. WOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chris, this is unreal! I've got to try it! How did you decided upon eleven lines per stanza... does that symbolize anything?

    Yours,
    David [ben Alexander]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, it happened organically, David. The first stanza I felt completed was "E" and it had eleven lines, so I struggled to make the rest the same length.

      Delete
  13. the word choices pulled me right in from the start. supurb puzzling

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an awesome display. The stuff of nightmares for the simple minded!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts