Sanctuary






SANCTUARY

Where do you find shelter when the world presses you too close?

What cellar can hold you when intermittent cyclones cut through your life leaving ruined paths
through what you once were?

Where can you go for respite after rains splash without guile full-tilt across your spirit? How do you cope with water lashing, stinging, geometrically across what you know to be true?

Can you hibernate? Close your eyes for a while, let go of fear? Can you find a fragment of peace here in my arms? A cabin of relief on my shoulder?

Could my eyes and my voice be a pier where you could dock, my heart an improbable log cabin with cedar closets and potted plants, comfy pillows and blazing fires where you could nap until the flood begins to mud, to ebb and dissipate, and the wind picks up enough for you to sail once more? Would you take my heart as a home, if it kept you warm?


Family shelter
is when Love keeps out the storm
while you get to sleep.
-----

This sheltering Haibun (prose/haiku combo) was prompted by my digital home for poetry, DVerse Poets.

©2022 Christopher Reilley 

I would love to know what you thought about this piece. 
Please consider leaving a comment.

Comments

  1. This is such a beautiful, heartwarming haibun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is lovely. Your Haiku speaks volumes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You write about what most of hope and aspire to. I don't know if it works for most people but it would be wonderful if it did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a beautiful idea and beautifully written, Christopher. Wonderful if someone can find that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All good questions and I love the answer in your haiku, Christopher. The final paragraph is so beautiful,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very well done. A comfortable read followed by a charming haiku.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If there were hearts wide enough we may not just cope, but it would be the end to all the wars, and we wouldn't need any shelters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the way the inquiry builds, the vivid references to shelter and the offering of safety in the end. This is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chris, that last paragraph of yours made me gasp in appreciation.

    ~David

    ReplyDelete
  10. A sanctuary we all need. (Kerfe--it won't let me log in)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts