You Are My Valentine



YOU ARE MY VALENTINE

How is it that I can fall in love with you again,
far deeper than ever before, when I thought
I had lost my heart to you once already?
How can it be that knowing your strength,
and those places where you need to be held,
can bring me to my knees with desire?

How is it possible that you know so much about me;
the piles of baggage that follow me where I walk,
my crimes, my sins, my cracked and sour soul,
and yet you still want me to fly, to shine like a new penny,
to create, and build, and put stars in my pockets,
how can you hold me high enough to touch heaven?

How can I celebrate those parts of you, so dear,
so secret, even you have not seen them as I have;
the nape of your neck, soft and silken beneath your hair,
the hollow where your shoulders cup into my hands,
and lower, the curved cream that arches into my passion,
or the spiraled sculpture of your ear and its honeyed taste.

With these few words, let me cover the entire world,
let me decant my silvered shadow to reach everything
in order to fulfill my heart’s commands, my soul’s demands,
let me give you my surrender and my dizzying triumph.
Know deep within your spirit, that there is at least one soul
who holds perfection in itself, wearing your shape.

-----
Shared with DVerse Poets for Valentines Day 2023 - Give us a kiss!
-----

©2014 Christopher Reilley 

I would love to know what you thought about this piece. 
Please consider leaving a comment.

Comments

  1. This is exquisitely drawn! I especially love; "How can I celebrate those parts of you, so dear, so secret, even you have not seen them as I have; the nape of your neck, soft and silken beneath your hair, the hollow where your shoulders cup into my hands,".. so beautiful! Thank you so much for writing to the prompt 💘💘

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very lush and beautiful Chis. So much here to embrace and hold close to the heart. Loved it my friend. 🙂✌🏼❣️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Romantic series of questions that lead to the same answer. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A gorgeous, heartfelt Valentine’s poem, Christopher. I like the structure of questions, the first person direct address, which is always effective, and I love the lines:
    ‘and yet you still want me to fly, to shine like a new penny,
    to create and build and put stars in my pockets’
    and the phrase ‘the spiraled sculpture of your ear and its honeyed taste’.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, gorgeous indeed. What a love poem you have penned! I loved this so much ☺️💕

    ReplyDelete
  6. Guess that's the way love is. Just to love. Nice one!!!

    Much💖love

    ReplyDelete
  7. Be still my heart ... your declaration of love is beyond beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the illustration and am most smitten with these words:
    "How can I celebrate those parts of you, so dear,
    so secret, even you have not seen them as I have;
    the nape of your neck, soft and silken beneath your hair,
    the hollow where your shoulders cup into my hands,
    and lower, the curved cream that arches into my passion,
    or the spiraled sculpture of your ear and its honeyed taste."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts