Mot Bateaux

Chris Reilley for Bytesized Studios



I love words. Obviously. 

It is a poor poet indeed who does not thrill like a schoolgirl at a rock concert at each new word he learns. Every time I am exposed to a word I've never heard before, I pore over it, pinned to my wax slab, etymologically speaking.

Sometimes the words come fast and furious, bumbling over each in their rush to get the idea across. Anyone who has tried to have a conversation with a fourteen year old girl is familiar with the phenomena.

And sometimes they bump and sway, like boats in a harbor.



MOT BATEAUX

My words bump and jostle,
boats in an unruly harbor.

Creaky at some times, leaky at others,
often listing dangerously.

Language is a port for ‘ideas expressed’
holding exploration in each and every craft
that sets sail daily for far horizons.

The boats of thought are carried on breath,
tilting at fairwinds and gales alike,
defying the storms, and the odds,
finding wharf in clusters and groups,
strung together into ideas, jokes, dreams.

Yet the dinghies do not envy the cruise ships,
speeders do not condescend to rafts,
arks, barges and gondolas sail with the scow,
each carries the weight it was made for
In the style it has.

-----

Shared with those waterlogged DVerse Poets for Poetics.

-----

© Christopher Reilley 2010

I would love to know what you think of this piece.
Please consider leaving a comment.

Comments

  1. I really love the extended metaphor . Thank you!
    "Yet the dinghies do not envy the cruise ships,
    speeders do not condescend to rafts,
    arks, barges and gondolas sail with the scow,
    each carries the weight it was made for
    In the style it has." 💙

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Merril about the extended metaphor, Chris, and I love the idea of words bumping and jostling. My favourite lines:
    ‘The boats of thought are carried on breath,
    tilting at fairwinds and gales alike,
    defying the storms, and the odds’.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "each carries the weight it was made for" -- This appealed, because so true. Wonderfully composed, Chris.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well-done and nothing to add to what's already been said.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recognize this a lot... and it was my wish to increase my vocabulary in a second language that pushed me into writing poetry...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Words like boats, creaky at some times, leaky at others: a fresh and appealing metaphor.

    (Priscilla King)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the line of word bumping and then floating away. Mine do that quite often!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how the words 'bump and jostle'. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts