In Our Shaded Spot



Someone I care about just suffered an enormous emotional loss, the passing of a lifetime companion. 

Another someone I love is watching a mate deteriorate, all while dreading the inevitable.

The loss of those we love, whether it take us by surprise or it it crashes and lumbers through our lives until it happens, chews a deep hole into our sense of self, one shaped very much like the loved one we lost.

I can only offer these meager words in comfort.



IN OUR SHADED SPOT

Let me come and sit beside you, let me lean on you once more.
I long to hear your morning laughter, to see your face at my door.
I still recall the way it felt when you reached out and took my hand,
and I still see the smile in your eyes, when you tell me you understand.

Your voice in my life always brought me a rush of friendship’s sweet relief,
but the hole in the world where you should be, is nothing less than grief.
The song I sing for you is one that has no beginning, and I can see no end,
Just as the days unending in which I will remember you as friend.

When tomorrow starts without you, you will not be here to see
the sun rising over the trees, as they silently stand watch over me.
I stand here all alone, and I will be alone once more tomorrow,
but I have known you, and known you well, so there’s no room for sorrow.

The trees in the grove, with leaves and blossoms waving unfurled
encompass what you have brought to my life, my heart, and my world.
From the burning heat of the summer sun, they offer cool, shaded retreat,
catching the rains from the heights of sky, and the world itself beneath our feet.

My days and nights are filled with beautiful memories such as these,
whispered in my ears by winds blowing through our favorite trees,
and as we celebrate the time we shared, we acknowledge what comes, and has gone,
from the roots we now set in our place, to the love that goes on and on.

-----
Shared with DVerse Poets for the Dia de la Muerta celebrations.

©2013 Christopher Reilley 

I would love to know what you thought about this piece. 
Please consider leaving a comment.

Comments

  1. This is so beautifully written from the heart. The last stanza specially moves me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very moving, Christopher. Made me teary eyed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very strong, and emotional... I hope that after a while the good memories will grow and fill the emptiness left behind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These verses are beyond touching, Chris.

    Thank you.

    ~David

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done. I like the song that has no beginning and no end .... and the love that goes on and on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very moving. Each verse, each line in fact brings another sense of comfort balancing against the devastating reality of loss. This line especially made me pause.....
    "but I have known you, and known you well, so there’s no room for sorrow."

    ReplyDelete
  7. the rhythm, the song, I agree with Grace, that last stanza captures something that goes on and on. So well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful and emotional. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. From Helen in Bend Oregon ~~~ your poem is gorgeous, Christopher.

    ReplyDelete
  10. “I have known you, and known you well, so there’s no room for sorrow.” … “My days and nights are filled with beautiful memories such as these,” Beautiful piece Chris. These two lines speak to the ongoing love I feel for my deceased son Aaron, ever present in my heart and life, all the years since his passing, and until I leave this earth — perhaps beyond. This is genuinely beautiful poetry my friend … ✌🏼❤️

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a wonderful moving piece. It brought tears to my eyes. Not only because of having lost loved ones, but also because I hope someone feels this way about me when I am no longer in this realm.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous writing about a terrible time. I love your last stanza.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts