The View From the Road




Every family is broken, in its own way. Some show the cracks and stress fractures more than others, but every family has a story of the time when someone went nuts, acted the fool, cheated and lied, broke someone's heart, or broke up a marriage. The trouble is, even though we all know it happens to everyone, we cannot often see it when it does in fact happen in another family. We have no way of knowing what goes on behind closed doors.

I personally love this poem. It was written while preparing for my first chapbook, my editor insisted on more personal pieces, family dynamic stuff, so I had no choice but to dig deep and see what I could come up with. While there is a certain amount of truth in here, this poem is an amalgamation of numerous incidents of my father being less than a family man.

It was one of the best received poems from the book "Grief Tattoos," and the great cerebralist poet Sam Peralta featured it as one of his "Poems I Wish I'd Written" series.


THE VIEW FROM THE ROAD



If you had driven past our house
on that late summer afternoon
you could be excused for thinking
that we were simply two out of three generations
enjoying the westering sun
by sharing secrets and familial whispers.

If you had not seen me
a few short minutes before,
screaming on the grass
beneath the drooping apple tree
as my grandmother ran toward me,
or my grandfather shouting “Why Chuck?”
to my father’s disappearing back
as he rushed away, slipping into
his baby blue Cadillac with the redhead
smoking in the passenger seat,
if you had not seen my mother
cupping her hands under her face
to keep blood from ruining her new carpet,
or the ambulance that drove her
and my grandmother up the hill to the hospital,
it would be natural to assume that we lived
the kind of lives that were written about
in Highlights magazine.

From the road you could not see
the torn screen door, or the frame
falling over on only one hinge,
you would have no way to know
what went on behind it.

-----

Shared with DVerse Poets for Open  Link Night


©2013 Christopher Reilley 
The View From the Road appeared in Grief Tattoos, which is out of print, Kindle edition HERE.

I would love to know what you thought about this piece. 
Please consider leaving a comment.

Comments

  1. This is so powerful, and so heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can really understand why this poem was well received... the way of telling this from the perspective of an ugly family secret is really good. You are probably right than many families are more or less broken.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this pulls the reader right in to the dynamics behind the door - it packs a metaphorical and literal punch

    ReplyDelete
  4. Incredible personal poem, whipping up divers emotions. I always wanted to get into the Chapbook action, but never figured out how to go about it. Kudos to you for nailing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris, it takes courage to pour blood on the page like you did here. It's also a public service that shows each of us we are not alone with experiencing hellish things in a family context.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Lisa. Important for others to know that the rest of the world is not filled with perfect families and lives. By confronting your demons, you help us confront our own. (Kerfe, they will only let me comment as anonymous, still)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your poem grabs and doesn't let go! Every family's story indeed. Fascinating write.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this. No one knows the story but the ones who live it!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a powerful credible write.

    Much💛love

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts