I Take It Back




This was written as a result of Robert Lee Brewer's poetry prompt.

My oldest daughter and I are not quite at this point, not yet, so this is not about her directly, but still.......

I TAKE IT BACK

I take it back, I did not mean what I said,
let me swallow my words with some crow.
I was angry and only seeing boiling red
my Irish temper pops my cork and I blow.

Give me back those last unthinking words,
let me call a do-over on moments past.
I'd pay in lifespan divided by thirds
if you had forgotten my statement, if asked.

I trust in you enough, to know you by now,
If you choose him, he must somehow be a good man.
I'll protect you to death, but I know I must allow
a father's daughter does not love along his plan.

Love has reasons that Reason know nothing about
and your heart and your mind should work as one.
I let my fear for you make me rant, rave and shout,
And I barked at you like I would bark at my son.

I only hope as a dad I showed you a man who cares,
showed you how he treats the ones he adores.
I hope the guy you look at, my values he shares,
and the only heart he ever wants, is yours.

But you must live your life, I take back my protest,
all I want is that you know love's joy and not pain.
But I've been dad all your life, joyfully blessed,
and reserve the right to maybe rant and rave again.


Comments

Popular Posts