Bike In The Mist


BIKE IN THE MIST


The straw beneath my boots
sounds like breakfast being chewed,
my fog-wet cheeks glisten, and I laugh.

Clouds kiss the earth
with lush, foggy abandon - 
all sloppy wet exploration - 
as I finally capture your tongue with mine,
mere feet from the road
where your bike appeared from the mist,
a magician's trick in reverse
and you were the lovely assistant.

Your giggle gets taken by the cloud
with my reason 
a half second behind it,
when we both stop






and listen







to the sound of two hearts
beating out of sync

in otherwise perfect silence.

Helping you to your feet is automatic,
as is my awkward goodbye,
and as I watch you pedal away,

I think I am certain that fog is lucky.


----


This poem appeared in "One Night Stanzas"
 
available from Big Table Publishing.
-----

©2003 Christopher Reilley
 
I would love to know what you thought about this piece. 
Please consider leaving a comment.

Comments

  1. If we didn't work from home I would probably bicycle to work like this... mist and darkness, but alas with some risk for a collusion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky fog and you get left behind. O dear.

    Much💛lovr

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'your giggle gets taken by the cloud' .... love that visual! Great poem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like the awkward feel of this poem, matches the situation of the poem. very strong metaphors

    "The straw beneath my boots
    sounds like breakfast being chewed,"

    "Clouds kiss the earth
    with lush, foggy abandon - "

    matching with...

    "as I finally capture your tongue with mine,"


    very well written, i enjoyed very much, very concrete writing here

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a sweet love poem with a right amount of tenderness and passion. Phillip quoted some of my favorite lines. Beautiful writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the magic of this moment and how you interpret fog to all be part of the magical, mystery show of life. Special.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such amazing, strong visuals in this one! I especially like; "Your giggle gets taken by the cloud with my reason a half second behind it."💝💝

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enchanting, Christopher: love arrives on a bicycle and disappears in fog!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts