I Wear A Mask



“We all wear masks, and the time comes when we cannot remove them without removing some of our own skin.” ― Andre Berthiaume




I WEAR A MASK


I wear a mask, or three.
Or perhaps a dozen.
Maybe more.
I am afraid to take this one off.
But if I am forced, at least I have more.
Pretending is second nature to me now,
I am not even aware that I am doing it.

I give the impression
that I am calm, and cool,
in command.
But nothing could be further from truth.

I need no one.
Don’t believe me
I am OK
Don’t believe me.
It does not matter
Don’t believe me.

My surface seems smooth,
but remember the mask.
I panic at the thought of being exposed,
of the glance that sees through the mist,
the look that sees truth.

Such a look is my only hope and I know it.

What else could release me?
Free me from the walls of this self-built prison,
the barriers that I so painstakingly erected?

It’s the only thing that can assure me
of what I cannot assure myself –
that I am worth something.

Of course, I will never tell you this.

So I play my game, my superficial game,
hiding the trembling child within.
I talk of everything that is really nothing,
and of nothing that is real.

Who am I, you ask?

I am every man you have ever met,
and every woman you have ever seen.

I am you, too.
-----
Shared with DVerse Poets for Open Link Night!
-----

©2013 Christopher Reilley

I would love to know what you thought about this piece. 
Please consider leaving a comment.

Comments

  1. Wow, Chris ~ I relate to this one quite strongly. Just wonderfully written!

    Sincerely,
    David
    SkepticsKaddish.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, indeed, we all have those masks (and often in many layers).... and that innermost mask I wouldn't even show myself without

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think almost everyone can relate to this. Well-written. We all wear masks, and sometimes we don't even realize it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. “hiding the trembling child within.” I love the realness of this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. An excellent poem.

    Completely relatable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is sad we feel we must wear masks to be accepted in society!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am you and you are me and we are all together. Koo koo ka choo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The more the masks the more the chaos behind them. We all must try. To shed off those sheep skins and make nice with everyone.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts