I Must Have Loved You Before




There are those who hold to the notion that we keep meeting up with the same souls that we have known in past lives, that we circle round and round with those we have loved already - as mother, or father, siblings or spouses, children and bosom companions; each of us being reborn into a different form, but with the same golden light shining from our eyes.

To some extent, this makes perfect senses, at least to a poet. How else to explain the instant glimmer of recognition that we feel when we meet particular folks?

My wife is just such a person in my life. From the first moment we met, we have been as thick as thieves, best friends, and in her eyes I see complete acceptance. We had to have known each other before.


I Must Have Loved You Before


As we go through our lives in separate ways,
distant, apart – or so it sometimes seems,
our together nights punctuated by days,
I keep you held closely in my fevered dreams.

I must have loved you like this in the past,
in lives that unfolded before this one.
Feelings this deep, this wide, this vast
must have their source in centuries done.

You fit neatly into the hollow of my heart’s core,
softening my edges with Love’s gentle blur,
so you must have lived in my soul before,
us two locked in such passion as we were.

In pillow talk with you my soul is laid bare,
revealing all to your gentle touch.
No other heart has ever gotten there,
or charmed me into revealing so much.

Our every step a dance of harmony,
a knowing waltz that feels so right,
I sometimes cannot separate you from me,
in the darkest hours of the coldest night.

When first we met, I did not stand a chance,
I fell headlong into your soft eyes.
My heart knew yours and in my chest did dance,
I was stripped of my artifice and all disguise.
-----

©2009 Christopher Reilley 

I would love to know what you thought about this piece. 
Please consider leaving a comment.

Comments

Popular Posts