These I Have Loved



These I Have Loved


These I have loved.

The first impossible sentence that looked back at me
and recognized its accomplice.

Libraries, where silence shelved revolutions
between cracked bindings,
where dust was merely the pollen of forgotten gods,
where every overdue book proved that time,
like language, can be negotiated.

Ink on my fingers,
the blue bruises of apprenticeship.

Bars with chipped mahogany elbows,
where whiskey translated grief
into every available dialect,
where laughter arrived wearing a black eye,
where lonely men polished the same story
until it reflected someone they almost became.

The miraculous commerce of tending thirst,
where I learned that every glass
is a tiny cathedral of confession,
and the best tip
is the stranger who leaves lighter
than when he staggered in.

Women.

Lord, the bright republic of women.

Women who arrived like weather systems,
who could rewrite gravity with a glance,
whose laughter struck matches in rain,
whose kindness could sand the sharp edges
from a week built entirely of Mondays.

Women whose mouths were dictionaries
where I willingly mispronounced forever.

The tangled arithmetic of desire,
where subtraction somehow multiplied joy,
where bodies argued in fluent idiom,
where every button became
a persuasive philosopher.

I have loved making glorious mistakes
for magnificent reasons.

I have loved being spectacularly wrong
about almost everything important,
because wisdom is merely arrogance
after enough collisions.

I have loved poems
that refused to sit quietly on the page,
poems with dirt beneath their fingernails,
poems that smelled faintly of coffee,
cigarette smoke,
cheap perfume,
rainwater,
and redemption trying on work boots.

Metaphors that stole hubcaps.
Similes that picked pockets.
Puns so shameless
they grinned while escaping through the back door.

I have loved words
that carried switchblades in their socks,
and words that baked casseroles
for grieving neighbors.

The English language,
that glorious mutt,
forever chasing Latin bicycles,
borrowing French cologne,
drinking Irish courage,
borrowing Yiddish shoulders to shrug upon,
forever stealing tomorrow's slang
before today has finished inventing it.

I have loved children,
particularly the two who promoted me
from dreamer to father.

The impossible privilege
of watching another human being
become entirely themselves.

Sticky hands.
School concerts.
Questions with no ceiling.
The astonishing fact
that love can leave home
and still somehow occupy every room.

I have loved old friends
who know precisely where the bodies are buried,
mostly because they helped me bury them,
then laughed until sunrise
at the funeral of our better judgment.

I have loved conversations
that wandered so far from their beginning
they returned wearing different hats.

Bookstores.
Baseball.
Autumn.
Good coffee.
Bad diners.
Excellent pie.
Secondhand record shops.
Handwritten letters.
Fresh notebooks.
Ancient trees.
The smell of rain rehearsing on hot pavement.
The first snowfall,
when the whole world briefly agrees
to lower its voice.

I have loved teachers
who handed me questions
instead of answers,
knowing curiosity
earns better interest.

I have loved my many failures, eventually,
though never on speaking terms.

I have loved applause
and survived its addiction.

I have loved obscurity
and found it surprisingly spacious.

I have loved growing up dirt poor,
once memory paid the bill.

I have loved the stubborn dignity
of making art
that refuses to calculate its own market value.

I have loved people
who carried invisible weather,
who smiled with cracked windows,
who fought dragons
that looked suspiciously like a work day.

I have loved forgiveness,
that locksmith of impossible doors.

I have loved becoming older,
against the loud objections
of a culture forever trying
to sell youth like it invented breathing.

Sixty plus years.

A sentence with many commas,
few periods,
and enough parentheses
to shelter every version of myself
that somehow survived the editing.

These I have loved.

Not perfectly.
Not wisely.
Not always in the correct order.
But extravagantly.
Like a man who finally discovered
that the opposite of dying is not living.
It is paying exquisite attention.

I love to pay attention, 
and  if my pockets are nearly empty when I arrive
at whatever final customs house awaits,
I hope they still discover a loose button,
three astonishing metaphors,
a bartender's pencil,
a child's drawing,
a lover's laughter folded into a receipt,
and enough gratitude to declare honestly:
nothing here is contraband.

I was trying to bring
the whole beautiful world
back home.

All these have been my loves.

-----

This post was inspired by a DVerse Poets Pub Prompt in salute to Rupert Brooke, specifically the second stanza of 'The Great Lover' in which he lists the many things he loves.

©2026 Christopher Reilley 
 

I would love to know what you thought about this piece. Please consider leaving a comment.

Comments

  1. Chris, this is an epic poem! So many of the things resonated with me, especially the ‘first impossible sentence that looked back at me and recognized its accomplice’ and ‘Ink on my fingers, the blue bruises of apprenticeship’. And these lines:
    ‘…poems
    that refused to sit quietly on the page,
    poems with dirt beneath their fingernails’
    and
    ‘…conversations
    that wandered so far from their beginning
    they returned wearing different hats’.
    Oh, sod it, I love the whole poem!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts