Secondhand Reformed

Artist unknown

Secondhand Reformed


Your cigarette blooms
like a burnt apology.

Your puff
reminds me of the stench
I used to be.

 Once, I called that smoke home—
 now it wears the breath
 of an ex-lover's lie,
 curling toward me,
 asking for one last kiss
 I'll never give.

-----

This Quadrille (44 word poem) shared with those pastry puffs over at DVerse Poets Pub.

©2026 Christopher Reilley 

 
I would love to know what you thought about this piece. 
Please consider leaving a comment.

Comments

  1. Never smoked, and now I'm happy that so many other have stopped smoking too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris, it feels like you have a trauma association with cigarette smoke. Everybody in my family smoked like chimneys and I followed them from age ~17 to ~35. It's a dirty habit that kills you slowly.

    Powerful poem in just 44 words. My favorite part:
    "it wears the breath
    of an ex-lover's lie,
    curling toward me,"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ppwerful stayement
    "it wears the breath
    of an ex-lover's lie,
    curling toward me,"

    Much lovr

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never smoked. Pretended once, I think I was 8, when a friend stole a cigarette from her brother. I wouldn't even try to kiss a smoker! My brother and his house smelled terrible, and the walls were coated in a brown film. He started at age 15, and isn't with us anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very very occasionally I will become nostalgic at the brief sniff of cigarette smoke but usually I hate it. Nice write Chris 👏

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best to leave the cancer sticks be. I tried them as a teenager but didn't get the allure of them. True

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes! I remember that addiction very well. And I know what it is to be where you are now, too, I'm glad to say for both our sakes. I got free in 1987, as a birthday present to myself, but only after having learnt that it was indeed an addiction, and like an alcoholic 'one is too many and 100 not enough.' I can't ever 'take it or leave it' ('one last kiss' indeed – *scoffs*). It took the Smokenders course (brilliant, put together by behavioural psychologists) to help me break away. You've described it all so well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never smoked, and never wanted to, but I remember when the smoke was everywhere, houses, restaurants, planes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chris, I like how you turn secondhand smoke into an old love whose pull shows how fully you have left that life behind.

    Much love,
    David
    SkepticsKaddish.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts