All Frosting No Cake
| image from Julia Child's recipe site |
All Frosting, No Cake
I have perfected the soufflé of bravado—
whipped air, sugared stiff,
served tall in a thimble.
Behold my résumé of meringue:
peaks so glossy you can check your teeth in them,
structure held together
by rumors of eggs.
I am a cathedral of buttercream,
spackled thick as denial,
rosettes piped with a flourish
like I’m signing autographs for the mirror.
Inside?
A polite echo.
A room rented by applause.
I stack compliments like tiered wedding fantasies—
fondant draped smooth as a politician’s promise,
each layer supported by dowels of “I’m fine.”
Slice me open and you’ll find
a generous helping of almost.
I’ve been mistaking decoration for devotion,
confusing sparkle with substance,
calling the sprinkles “confetti”
as if this were a celebration
and not a cleverly lit distraction.
But frosting melts under honest weather.
The roses slump. The sugar sweats.
The air goes out of my grand performance
with a soft, embarrassed sigh.
So here I am, fork in hand,
laughing at my own confection—
sweet, impressive, structurally hypothetical.
Next time, I’ll try flour.
-----
This ekphrastic poem's title is the second line from one of my earlier poems, that poem was made up of incomplete sentences, that drove me nuts, but somehow made great titles.
Shared with DVerse Poets Pub for Open Link Night.
I would love to know what you thought about this piece.
Please consider leaving a comment.


Your title made me smile, Chris, as did the ‘soufflé of bravado’ and the ‘cathedral of buttercream, spackled thick as denial’ – and the ending!
ReplyDeleteThis made me hungry but I love the insights from: I’ve been mistaking decoration for devotion, confusing sparkle with substance. Enjoyed this one Chris!
ReplyDeleteI love the similar and imagery! (Rowan Taw)
ReplyDeleteI'm not a big cake fan but the frosting only works in balance. Great write Chris 👏
ReplyDeleteI love this, Chris, especially as I work for a factory that makes cakes and I sometimes get called on to copywrite. Our dessert chain of restaurants unofficial motto "Nobody Has to Know... " "My unspoken motto "Exporting Type 2 Diabetes by the palette load..."
ReplyDeleteA perfectly engineered confection!
ReplyDeleteThis week, it seems that most OLN's make me crave things... I want the frosting and confetti now... Loves the poem.
ReplyDeleteeric here. so much yum in this, souflee of bravado, cathedral of buttercream, then the realisation decoration vs devotion. i think id end with laughing at my own confection.
ReplyDelete"I stack compliments like tiered wedding fantasies—
ReplyDeletefondant draped smooth as a politician’s promise,
each layer supported by dowels of “I’m fine.”
Slice me open and you’ll find
a generous helping of almost."
I love this stanza, Chris!
Beautiful written 💜
ReplyDelete~Maggie The Afterlove Voice