Time to Go



Nipisi by Arve Higlin


Time to Go

On the back of my hand is a roadmap of my life; scars, welts, calluses, wedding ring & the tender spot where she kissed me.  An embroidered quilt  of life, love, and loss.

I have a thousand, thousand memories, and I could regale you with a million stories about the events of my pinball game of a life that took me from where I started until I got here.

But nobody asked me. 

So like the raven knows when to keep the hawks from hunting, and the bear knows the sounds of an empty belly, something told the wild geese it was time to fly. Inside a goose soul a switch was flipped, the time had come, the journey was here now, so they flew.

I could not help but want to fly with them, to create new memories, even if it means new scars.

-----

This bit of prosery (144 words worth) contains the line “Something told the wild geese/It was time to fly.” from the poem Something Told the Wild Geese by Rachel Lyman Field. 
And of course, I was told it was time to go by those poets over at Dverse Poets.

©2024 Christopher Reilley 

I would love to know what you thought about this piece. 
Please consider leaving a comment.

Comments

  1. I like where you took the line and the wise metaphor within the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A poignant Prosery piece, Chris. I love the way you began with a close-up focus on the back of the hand and a past memory before pulling back to “An embroidered quilt of life, love, and loss’ and “a thousand, thousand memories”. I also love the phrase ‘pinball game of a life’. Don’t we all want to fly with the wild geese?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this is lovely, especially that last sentence of new memories and new scars... and the way it connect back to the back of his hand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "An embroidered quilt of life, love, and loss." Is it time to stitch a new one? The fourth paragaph introduces a natural note of change that is so gracefully done. A lovely story, Christopher, of longing for the past and the new while standing at yet another threshhold /"map" of life.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts