Mulling Spices




Mulling Spices

The walls around my garden
have kept the world at bay
since I first toiled at the furrowed rows
and staked the spices
that give my life flavor.

This world leaves me dried out,
like I've been in the sun too long.
When loves shades my soul
like a gentle canopy,
it restores my coriander cool,
the paprika rose of my lips,
leaves my tongue 
tasting of nasturtium’s pepper,
so I am willing to work,
because that is what it takes.

It's not as if Love runs hot or cold
across fields of thyme,
nor can mere sweetened ginger
whet my appetites alone.

Frilly-skirted chantarelle
keep company
with baby nutmeg knobs.
Their gentle pods are
cradles for love remembered.

Then there is the saffron;
at once exotic and valuable,
placing my tastes above my means,
bringing me the indulgence
I tell myself
I deserve.

My love for you is fresh potted basil
that I cannot stop touching, 
smelling, tasting,
pinching a smidge,
to make you part of me
every
single
day.

-----

©2022 Christopher Reilley 

I would love to know what you thought about this piece. 
Please consider leaving a comment.

Comments

  1. Love as herbs and spices, a garden sanctuary. Lovely.
    I especially like the enjambment, as in
    It's not as if Love runs hot or cold
    across fields of thyme,
    nor can mere sweetened ginger
    whet my appetites alone.

    And the concluding stanza.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Then there is the saffron;
    at once exotic and valuable,
    placing my tastes above my means,"

    There will alwsys be that someone seemingly out of our reach. Happy in this case it is not in a sense of dour grapes.

    Happy you dropped by to read mine

    Much💛love

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the sanctuary and receptacle of memories you've cultivated here, Chris. This line: "Their gentle pods are
    cradles for love remembered."
    so touching.
    Also the last stanza brings the poem into the real world. I do the same with my rosemary shrub, but with nobody in particular in mind. It just makes me feel good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my favourite places is the walled garden at Hoveton Hall in Norfolk, with its spider gate and amazing variety of plants. I feel those lines:
    ‘This world leaves me dried out,
    like I've been in the sun too long’
    and especially love:
    ‘leaves my tongue
    tasting of nasturtium’s pepper’
    one of my favourites, and
    ‘My love for you is fresh potted basil
    that I cannot stop touching,
    smelling, tasting,
    pinching a smidge’.
    Oh yes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so beautiful! I especially love this part;

    "When loves shades my soul
    like a gentle canopy,
    it restores my coriander cool,
    the paprika rose of my lips,
    leaves my tongue
    tasting of nasturtium’s pepper,
    so I am willing to work,
    because that is what it takes."

    *swoon* 🥰

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a poem written by a gardener - it is hard work, but that's part of the joy of it. A bit like writing poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful piece Chris — and I love the way you ended it… 👍🏼✌🏼

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thoroughly enjoyed how you deftly wove spices and emotion through your poetry. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You mulled much more than spices here. The parallels between garden, love, insight, reflection.....all so deeply moving. The ending is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. By the last stanza you had me thinking of my wife, so this must be a successful love poem!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts