Odd Man Out




ODD MAN OUT

He pushes into the crowd
trying to be part of the circle,
talking 'cool'
or 'tough,'
although he is neither.

"Wanna see my knife?"
he wheedles,
as if that were enough
to make him a man.

When they joke
he sneers,
"That ain't funny, 
let me show you funny,"
and then he falls
on his face.

No matter the subject, 
no matter the speaker,
he is a seagull
dropping his waste
over everything they have,
incensed at his exclusion.

Alternately gruff
and ingratiating,
his failure
at joining the 'In' crowd
eats him thin
so he tries again
using the same techniques,
expecting different results.

They laugh at him
to his face
and behind his back,
keeping him around
as a jester
without giving him the freedom
of a jester
to speak his mind.

I never told him
I was glad he was there,
so the odd man out
did not have to be me.

----

Shared with my peers over at DVerse Poets


©2010, 2021 Christopher Reilley 
This poem appeared in Grief Tattoos
which is out of print, 
Kindle edition HERE.

I would love to know what you thought about this piece. 
Please consider leaving a comment.

Comments

  1. This is a very honest piece which I enjoyed reading. The first stanza made me laugh a bit. Very effectively written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is incredibly hard-hitting and poignant, Christopher! I especially resonate with; "No matter the subject, no matter the speaker, he is a seagull dropping his waste over everything they have, incensed at his exclusion." Thank you so much for writing to the prompt! ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this perspective and you keep it real. Everyone wants to be part of the in crowd, but there is always someone who is the odd person out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have all been that quiet odd one at some time or the other. Very relatable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so often our default position. scary really. well put.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts