The Voice of the Lobster Echoes My Fancy



The Voice of the Lobster Echoes My Fancy



The voice of the lobster echoes my fancy,
as silent a scream as I allow myself.

Every time I end up in hot water
I panic; hands rubber-banded
and helpless.

The environment that nourished me
will certainly kill me,
circumstances having raised it
to the boiling point,
but panic is not my way.

Yet when the chef prepares his dish
he can hear the three voices;
asking the four riddles,
playing a game of fives
for a lost brother and sister.

It may sound like Jabberwocky to you,
but it is a strange, wild song – neither a sea dirge,
nor a valentine.

The voice of the lobster
echoes
my fancy. 


A Prompted poem from DVerse, this piece includes a number of titles of poems written by Lewis Carroll (Charles Lutwidge Dodgson) including three that make up the title: Echoes, My Fancy, and the Voice of the Lobster. How many more can you find?

©2022 Christopher Reilley 

I would love to know what you thought about this piece. 
Please consider leaving a comment.

Comments

  1. You took my breath away with this one, Christopher! This is stunning, stunning work done! Thank you so much for writing to the prompt 💝💝

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clever, clever, clever. You have beautifully weaved those titles in with such a profound depth; the wordplay throughout is both charming and saddening when regarding the fate of the lobster. Loved this, Christopher, I always enjoy reading you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love this... the voice of the lobster... while we argue how to eat its flesh .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, echoes my fancy, will I take pity?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, very clever! I love that second stanza.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts