Matters of Life & Death



Matters of Life & Death

Might makes right, my grandfather said.
He drove competition to ruin,
died hard.

Family means more than money
gramma taught me with my prayers,
died loved.

Daddy drank and whored around,
left us to chase his dick, he died
alone.

Mom schooled her self, earned two degrees,
bought a home, built a life, kicked ass.
Still died.

Right makes might, or so the church says,
What they sell you can't have until
you die.

I use poetry in hopes of
being remembered after I'm
long dead.

--

Every story, song, or road
comes to an end. Gives it value.
And life.

Knowing there is an end is what
should cause us to savor moments
we live.

-------

This poem is of the form, Synchronicity, invented by Debra Gundy, you can read more about it here, at DVerse.


©2022 Christopher Reilley 

I would love to know what you thought about this piece. 
Please consider leaving a comment.

Comments

  1. I really love the twist from death into life, such a well structured and wise poem... we are all going to die, so the best we can do is to live well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the smooth progression and resonate with "poetry in hopes of
    being remembered,".. gorgeous write! ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. How realist can this get - we will all end up dead. But I love how we can make this a good life, give it values and memories to remember, even after our death. I love the poem turns the dire theme of death, to ultimately, to live well as best as we can. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The twist is on point. You nailed this form

    Much💜love

    ReplyDelete
  5. A story told well .. really enjoyed your poem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your sharing and vulnerability in it are appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What they sell you can't have until
    you die. - Brilliant lines!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant, you've got the twist bang on. Love the change from death to life. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. I do not have language rich enough to express how much I love this poem, Chris.

    -David [ben Alexander]

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts