Night Birds





Night Birds


Kites and jackdaws thrill to the night air,
young and sweet,
feeding on a dark velvet sky-caress.

The last one to find succor is the first to scream about it.
Their innate life-spark is more than the sum of the parts,
It is the infinitesimal curse of detonation.

With or without a choice, or chance, they fly,
rending peace with voice is a choice one can make
if their willingness to take a chance were measured.

The body is more than placeholder for spirit.
The voice of my father, serious and grave, speaks of
the nature of science vs the science of nature.

Yet still, they fly.

-----



This piece is from a prompt from the poetic folks over at DVerse.

©2021 Christopher Reilley 

I would love to know what you thought about this piece. 
Please consider leaving a comment.

Comments

  1. Beautifully written!
    "feeding on a dark velvet sky-caress." I am smitten with this descriptive phrase.

    "The body is more than placeholder for spirit.
    The voice of my father, serious and grave, speaks of
    the nature of science vs the science of nature."
    Powerful lines here.

    Thanks s o much for posting to the prompt! I really enjoyed this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "if their willingness to take a chance were measured" That's the kind of math I can get into.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this, especially the phrase 'the infinitesimal curse of detonation' and the comparison of 'the nature of science vs the science of nature.'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my heart this is incredibly potent. I especially love; "With or without a choice, or chance, they fly, rending peace with voice is a choice one can make." 💝💝

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts