Why Write?





WHY WRITE?


Words unlock conversations with the past

Held within the frame of prose or poem,

You need invest nothing but time,

Worlds cascading into your home.

Rhythm and cadence, meter and pause,

It is no different from Truth around the Fire.

To put the proper word in just the right place -

Every writer has a goal to aspire.


Yet poets break the rules, bury clues and secrets deep,

making you think they were going to rhyme, but no,

form gets tossed aside by verse that demands to be free

of your damn rules, your demand that words fit a form exact.

Words are both the crust and the sauce, a meal we dress,

or embroider, as our whims may deem.

You may get my hash, or top flight cordon bleu,

but I will always open my vein for you, no regrets.


For Poetry demands that our guests are served our best.



This double Acrostic Plus poem is from a prompt from the fun folks over at DVerse


©2021 Christopher Reilley 

I would love to know what you thought about this piece. 
Please consider leaving a comment.

Comments

  1. I like how you start with a rhyme scheme and then abandon it. It reflects your words perfectly. Also, nice metaphor of the poem being "both the crust and the sauce, a meal we dress... You may get my hash, or top flight cordon bleu." Plus the last 2 lines are gold!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the theme as well as the placement of the words to create an acrostis plus form. You captured the heart of the poet - searching for the proper words in either form or free verse. This is my favorite part:
    Words are both the crust and the sauce, a meal we dress,
    or embroider, as our whims may deem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the solid premise you start from and how it is developed as the poem moves along. Thank you for the tasty entree.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You nailed the challenge and helped enlighten many as to WHY. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Acrostic + ....... we break rules and bury clues YES!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Writing poetry is sometimes not done with the reader in my mind... that's what make it hard to be a poet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOWWW!!! Speechless sigh ... I love; "Words are both the crust and the sauce, a meal we dress, or embroider, as our whims may deem."💝💝

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like that the title is the question that the poem then answers....and using the acrostic plus form even though these lines are within:
    "Yet poets break the rules, bury clues and secrets deep,
    making you think they were going to rhyme, but no,
    form gets tossed aside by verse that demands to be free
    of your damn rules, your demand that words fit a form exact."

    Oh yes.....I do so agree with this so many times.....mainly when someone asks for a rhyme scheme and/or iambic pentameter and I find myself counting and "beating" with my finger tips. :)

    And of course the food comparison is fabulous as many have mentioned!

    Apologies for the late response. I was stuck out of town with flights cancelled over three days and only an iphone with me - which in my opinion is the pits to respond to posts with when you only use an index finger to pluck out words! I much prefer my computer and keyboard where I can write as I think! :)

    I enjoyed this post very much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words! They made my day. :-)

      I love forms, and prompts, so I love DVerse. I used to frequent a LOT, been out of touch for years, just returned, and this prompt just lit me up! I love puzzles. :-)

      Chris

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts