Letting You In





Letting You In


Your touch cools the scald,
a shortcut past my rabbiting heart.

Past the rage, straight into my soul,
my unique perspective housed in mere flesh.

I burn as you billow, casual as a cat.

My first free breath is the sweetest,
scariest, step ever.


-----

This poem is a quadrille, a form with 44 words (not counting the title)
This one was spun from magic by a DVerse prompt.




©2021 Christopher Reilley 

I would love to know what you thought about this piece. 
Please consider leaving a comment.

Comments

  1. Such evocative, vulnerable writing. I'm loving your work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are some incredible word choices here, and my favorite comes right out of the chute: "Your touch cools the scald"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this poem. That first step in letting someone into your "bubble" is the hardest. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I burn as you billow is a great line. Well penned.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe you managed to turn rabbit into a verb. That's brilliance, Chris.

    Yours,
    David [ben Alexander]

    ReplyDelete
  6. Once betrayed, it is difficult to trust again -- the "scariest ever", but so worth it! Loved the image that accompanied your beautiful words.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like this. A poem well done, Chris.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are such love that simply can break down the best built barriers thankfully

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts